Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Over" Too Soon?

As some have called him, "The Golden Boy" Drake jus recently released his first track from his highly anticipated album Thank Me Later. In my own opinion, this track hasn't given us anything to thank him for yet. After his mixtape success of So Far Gone, Drake gave many hope that wat some consider the "essence of hip hop" or "real hip hop" was making a comeback for the mainstream. Young Money's done exactly what Wayne said they'd do and milked Drake's recent success by putting him on every hook it seems of their recent releases since he's been signed and he's been able to keep the songs relevant with his "hook" skills and Wayne's recent hype for the time. Now I guess Drake's time has come to stand on his own two and "Over" is his first step to establish himself in the mainstream as a solo artist. If you ask me, it's a bit of a weak and unstable step to me. I personally think the track has taken the Young Money route and dumbed down the lyrics some, make an alrite hook, and give it a beat you think people will wanna hear in a club. This hasn't been Drake's normal formula, but when he signed wit young money, I had a feelin it'd turn to this. It's kinda what young money does.... However, some say I'm being to harsh and jus being a critic, but everybody's a critic. You like what you like and I like what I like. To each's own. But I haven't given up all hope for Drake. The song says "it's far from over." Mayb this song is just Drake's way of expressing his new lifestyle that he's found in his new musical success. He's met many new faces, been to a lot of new places, and done a lot of shows all based of featuring himself on other records and performing hooks. Not to mention the performances he's done from his mixtape alone. Mayb the tracks jus a warning for the anticipated "Golden Boy" to say, yea this is the first step but I'm here to change the game. To that all I can say is I hope so. I'm not a fan of this particular track, but one track can't speak for an album. So I'll be waiting to see what happens along with all of you. Check the song out for yourself below and see how u feel.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been impressed with any of Drake's songs. I think he's overrated and him being with Young Money isn't going to make him any better. His metaphors are reaching. I really think he pales in comparison to B.O.B, J. Cole, and Wale.

    ReplyDelete